Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Carotid Artery Surgery - Miracle


In 1999, our little family had many challenges. In January, we were told that Ray had a 99 percent blockage in his carotid artery. They could not get him into a hospital in Newport News for over two weeks, but they had an opening the next Tuesday morning (Monday was a holiday) in Williamsburg. They scheduled his surgery and on the Monday night before the surgery, he suffered a small stroke at our Lions Club meeting and could not hold his crackers in his left hand.
The next morning when I drove him to the hospital, he didn’t want to tell them about the stroke, but I made sure he did. They had to put off the surgery one day and did some tests to make sure there was no bleeding in the brain. My friend, Glynn, stayed at the hospital with me most of the time. She was so wonderful. We talked a lot and prayed. Dr. James White, our pastor at that time, spent the better part of the three and a half hour surgery with us. Prayer really helps. Knowing that your husband is in surgery getting his neck sliced and Carotid Artery cleaned out while he is awake is a little disconcerting. I don’t think we could have made it over that roadblock without lots of prayer.
On the last night Ray was in the hospital, I said goodnight and drove home. I was so tired; I was having trouble staying awake. I think when you are going through a trauma it can make you feel burdened and tired. I was driving back from Williamsburg in the rain and the interchange at Jefferson Ave and I-64 was undergoing construction. I was not supposed to get off I-64 until I got to J. Clyde Morris Boulevard, but I suddenly found myself on Jefferson Avenue. I don’t know how it happened. It was very surreal.
   The Lord must have been guiding me that night. In a couple of days Ray was home and working again. He had recently started a new home-based business and was able to do most of his work at his own pace. God is Good!Publish Post


No comments:

Post a Comment